Monday, July 16, 2012

My summer Take-A-Long project!

Hello everyone,

 I cannot begin to tell you how hard I have found it to quilt with a 4 year old and a 2 year old in my house. I got to thinking about this, and we are so much on the go anymore...(Did I mention I drive over an hour to get the girls to the sitter and for me to get to work, morning and evening!) It has been worth the time to see my girls flourish in a christian support system. 

So I was thinking that I needed a take-a-long project to keep with me and to sew a few stitches when I can in my travel with the girls.  I have been looking at my Dear Jane book again. I had paper pieced 2 blocks previously by machine and they turned out okay, but I knew I could do better. So I decided to make my Baby Jane by hand, as much as I can.  I will be learning some new skills with this goal, but it also brings me back to my roots in quilting. I can fondly remember sitting at my grandparents house during the summer and hand stitching nine patch blocks while my grandmother hand quilted quilts.  

So here are the fruits of my labor so far. (A-1, A-2, A-4, A-5, A-6, A-8) I am truly enjoying the bright colors. I am using moda white and hand dyed fabrics from my LQS. I had signed up awhile back at Twiddletails for their Dear Jane BOM to help with some of the construction I was not certain of. My hats off to Anina at twiddletails. She is super helpful and her instructions are super easy to follow.  I also liked the flexibility in her opitions! Yall should check her out! 

I am now trying to decide if I want to make rows, or triangles, sash as I go, possibly hand quilt.... This has got my interest jumping! 6 down lots more to go, I am off to try an hand applique!

A-1 A-2 A-4 A-5 A-6 A-8

4 comments:

  1. Angie, your blocks look great. I am happy you are finding a bit of time to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! They finish at 5" and I am really enjoying them. How are things with you and your family?

      Delete
  2. Your blocks are lovely! I have this same BOM from Anina! I have never started it though as I have just not had the time. I have everything I need and just need to get started on it. Seeing yours makes me want to start on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy you should start. The blocks a truly fun and challenging to make. I must confess. I started to make a triangle, got frustrated, and had to put it down for a bit. However, I purchased a new Thirty-One bag to use as my sewing kit, and I believe this might start me anew! :-) Please keep me posted on your progress.

      Delete